incessant- and perhaps incoherent- verbosity from an optimistic misanthrope.

1.31.2007

on like, love, lust.

February's issue of (Sound) (is it Seattle Sound? Sound Seattle? I can't tell) has a surprisingly well-written and effectively sentimental article on Jesse Sykes, of Sweet Hereafter fame. Being the February issue, in favor of all things Valentinidous™, the angle of part of the piece and its corresponding sidebar centers on Sykes' relationship with Sweet Hereafter guitarist Phil Wandscher. The article's author does a bang-up job of describing Sykes and Wandscher's opposing yet complimentary personalities, and is able to make the songstress open up a tad with this quote that's stuck with me all day:

"I like the idea of loyalty before fidelity... When it comes down to it, we're extremely loyal. We totally have each other's backs, but at the same time we fight like cats and dogs. We've hurt each other deeply at times, but at the end of the day, we're best friends."
And in the sidebar, which focuses on Barsuk's affinity for married acts (Starlight Mints, Viva Voce, Mates of State), Sykes offers this flippant opinion:
Status: "We're whatever. [Musically,] I don't know what I'd do without Phil. As far as everything else, he can get lost. If we were rich, we'd probably be like Frida and Diego and have two houses with the bridge between them."
I like that. I really, really, like that. My perspective on "relationships" is a selfish and lonely one, but it's reassuring to know that it's shared and brought to success by someone else out there.